The Acne Struggles Journey -- Part 1 [Updated]

September 05, 2017

Notes: Be aware of this blog post, as I’ll be sharing the raw images of my serious acne skin. I want to share my painful past and how the acne worsens to you guys who have met the same issue with me. I hope that my experience would let the fellow acne sufferers know that you’re not alone and we shouldn’t give up in searching cure for it. There might have some point where you would find the images really disgusting and just leave this post but I still want to thank you guys for being here to read about my struggles and my journey to get out of this torturous acne.

I always have oily and acne prone skin, but it wasn't that bad.

When I broke out occasionally,my sensitive skin always leave the scars behind. I can’t accept my skin having such scarring and some acne. Thus, I decided to try on a skincare.

I’ve tried a skincare line that contain BHA & AHA as you all know these ingredients are chemical peeling. They’re supposed to help to reduce acne, yeah they do help in the first few 2 weeks but afterwards it broke me out A LOT. I’ve broke out 5-8 acne in a week, isn’t it crazy!? Despite me stopping these products, I continue to break out at least 4 acne a week. I mean… seriously look at how bad it have cause my skin to become 😓




Well, that was the time when I was encouraged to look for clinic where I could consult doctor and get my treatment done. I googled and did lots of reviews and I’ve eventually landed at The Clifford Clinic. This clinic seems to be specializing in treating acne skin, after reading a blogger review on this clinic, I’ve gained confidence in them and I can’t wait to go for consultation and receive my treatment. I ring them up and set my first consultation date somewhere in early march with my aesthetic doctor Dr Gerard Ee




I sat in the consultation room with Dr Gerard having him understanding more on my acne history and my ranting on these acne housing on my skin over the past few years, and how bad these acne got back recently. I’m thankful to Dr Gerard patience and his professional advice. J He advised me to get my treatment using Agnes to reduce the breakout and then a series of Q-Switch Laser treatment, and to get the best result I could also get HydraFacial to maintain my skin cleanliness.

 

In this post, I’ll be sharing my process with Agnes treatment, Q-Switch laser and Hydra-facial over the past few months with Clifford Clinic.

Before we go into the details of the processes after each treatment, here are the sum up of my treatment with Clifford clinic over the past 10 months (April 2017 - Feb 2018)



What is Agnes treatment?
“One of the latest advancements in acne treatment is AGNES, which selectively ablates sebaceous glands to cure recalcitrant acne.
AGNES is commonly used in Korea and Dr Gerard Ee is the pioneer doctor to introduce AGNES to Singapore.”
As our skin have millions of sebum glands, AGNES will selectively destroy those individual ‘problematic’ glands, thus preventing new breakout and provide the long term cure for acne. For my acne case, Dr Gerard recommend me in getting 1 to 2 treatment for Agnes, in addition to that, I’ve been using the pimple cream prescribed by him (Clindamycin, TRetinon cream and several others to keep my acne under control). Now that I’ve learn what Agnes do and the way to target my acne, my biggest concern is the cost.
Agnes Treatment’s Cost
This treatment cost range from $800 for partial face to $1500 for full face treatment. Being a student it’s kind of expensive to me but I decided to invest all I could for my skin thus I took 1 treatment of Agnes for full face.
The therapist applied numbing cream to my face and set it to do it’s job for about 30 mins before I get my extraction done by my therapist. 


The extraction took quite a while as my face are infested with acne and blackheads. L



Note: I have low tolerance of pain level.
The next step is where I’m ready to get my Agnes treatment where I have Dr Gerard doing the treatment for me. He was very caring where he kept checking if I’m able to tolerate the little needle poking into my facial sebum glands, well of course I couldn’t. I have really low tolerance for pain and Dr Gerard injected anaesthetic into both side of my cheeks before I continue with the treatment.



Here are the image of Dr Gerard focusing on killing hundreds of my destroyed sebum glands with the needle like looking equipment, it took him about an hour to finish this process for me. Thank you Dr Gerard :’)
Agnes Day 2
I went back to Clifford clinic the very next day to get my follow up treatment for Agnes. There’s no more needle poking treatment hahaha (Thankfully). On this day, I got to received treatment that help to sooth my skin prior to the treatment the last day.
My therapist use a radio frequency machine (massaging looking like device) with gel and antiseptic solution to cleanse my skin.

Other than the slight pain from the serious acne area, this process was pretty comfortable.
I took some images after the Agnes treatment to keep a record of my journey throughout this process. Of course, I could see that my skin got even redder compare to how it was before the treatment, it’s too scary and disgusted to even look at. At this point of time, I’m really worry about having more scars or if the acne will re-enact and my main concern is knowing that I’m going to avoid putting make up for months. Although I am told not to put make up for ~3 days but I’m just worry that during the process, foundation might trigger the acne. I picked up my courage and step out of my door without covering the acne and scars. There’s people who are judging me, and to be very honest I still suffer from low self-esteem from these acne now. L

Right after the Agnes treatment. (Agnes Day 1)


I’m happy to see the improvement on my skin 2 days after Agnes treatment, the cheeks were not as red and swollen and the existing acne flatten down quickly.

This was the 5th day after Agnes treatment, so happy to see that it got a lot better, aside from the red dots from the acne itself, there’s no red patches surrounding the acne.


Q-Switch

What is Q-Switch laser?
“Q-switch laser is the ideal lunchtime laser for common pigmentation and aging problems.  Melasma, freckles and acne scars are common types of hyperpigmentation that can occur even with good lifestyle and skincare habits.
Q-switch laser has been proven to erase hyperpigmentation with low downtime.”

How does Q-switched laser treatment work?

“Q-Switch Laser treatment works by generating a high-energy laser on the affected area. The laser energy pulse breaks down the pigments into mini-pigments, which is absorbed by the skin, and then destroyed by the body’s lymphatic system.”
Dr Gerard advise me to go for a series of 10 Q-Switch lasers package, with me having to do this treatment every 2 weeks to heal my acne scars. Of course, I took up this package, I’ve wanted to go for laser for such a long time. I really hate the scars on my face and wish that I could get rid of these ugly red patches as quickly as possible. I couldn’t wait to try out my Q-switch session with Clifford and see how much my scars lighten up each time!
1 week later, 30th March, I did my 1st Q-Switch laser. Like I might have mention above, I am going to rate about the pain tolerance, I’ve low pain tolerance and initially I’m not use to how it felt like rubber-band snapping on my skin but subsequently after a few more session I could get use to it and I don’t felt the pain as much. I would say that the pain level about 3/10.

 

Aside from that, I really like how Q-switch laser are fast and effective treatment. I could see the effect after a few sessions of treatment. As much as I hope to get baby smooth skin, and that I’m thankful to how fast I could see the result from this treatment, this treatment doesn’t help to achieve 100% clear skin. I would expect about 80%++ recovery after these processes.
How much does Q-switch cost?
I’ll be sharing the cost of Q-Switch together with Hydra-Facial at the bottom! J

Blue Light Treatment
I’ve also received blue light treatment after my 1st Q-switch session.
What is Blue Light treatment?
Use of high-intensity, narrow-band blue light to treat mild to moderate acne. It’s use to treat the acne-causing bacteria that can form within the sebaceous glands and cause break outs. This treatment is quick and comfortable.
Upon applying a soothing mask (Omega/Centella extract), my therapist brought the blue-light generating device over my head and allow it target the bacteria that causes acne for around 10-15 minutes. Then she place a mask over my face and continue with the treatment.


The process was really comfortable, totally no pain and I could felt the warm heat. My skin was totally enjoying this treatment ^^
Breakout during recovery??
Though I notice some breakout during the recovery process, Dr Gerard assure me that the journey throughout my healing process wouldn’t be that smooth and I should be patience with it. I also notice that the re-enact acne wasn’t as serious as my pre-acne treatment, and this definitely prove that the Agnes treatment is successful.



Hydra-Facial

What is Hydra-Facial?
HydraFacial uses patented technology to cleanse, extract, and hydrate our skin. While getting rid of impurities it also uses super serums that are made with nourishing ingredients to quench skin and creating an instantly gratifying glow.

How It Works?


CLEANSE + PEEL

Uncover a new layer of skin with gentle exfoliation and relaxing resurfacing. 



EXTRACT + HYDRATE 

Remove debris from pores with painless suction. Nourish with intense moisturizers that quench skin. 


FUSE + PROTECT 

Saturate the skin’s surface with antioxidants and peptides to maximize your glow

How much does it cost?

I sign up a package of Hydra Facial($1000) and Q-Switch($2000), so in total of these 2 treatments cost me $3000. However, different people skin condition varies, while Dr Gerard recommend me to get these treatment and sessions, yours may be different J

What I like the most about hydra-facial is how it’s able to address almost all the skin concerns we have,
  •         Fine lines + Wrinkles
  •         Elasticity + Firmness
  •         Even Tone + Vibrancy
  •         Skin Texture
  •         Brown Spots
  •         Oily + Congested Skin
  •         Enlarged Pores

I’ve received my first treatment for hydra-facial on 15 April 2017, along with my second session of Q-Switch.

Uncover a new
Step 1: Cleansing

Step 2: Extraction

Step 3: Hydrates

Step 4: The last step where I have the cold mask to relax and cool down my skin.
Throughout each session of Hydra-Facial, I got it cleanse my congested oily skin, while providing anti-oxidant hydration.

15 April 2017 (2nd Q-Switch + 1st Hydra-Facial)


I could see the significant improve on my acne, lesser bumps, but again, the annoying reddish scars. As my skin is sensitive, it took me a few days to 1 week to see the effect of Q-Switch.
25 April 2017. (2nd Q-Switch + 1st Hydra-Facial)

Again, I took pictures to monitor my skin condition and the recovery from my facial and lasers. It can be seen clearly that the amount of redness have decrease a lot and there’s even lesser small bumps on my skin. Yay!

29 April 2017
I went for my 3rd Q-Switch session, this time without Hydra-Facial as I’m bound to do the facial every month while having my laser done every 2 weeks.


27 May 2017
I continue with my Q-Switch treatment 3 weeks after the 3rd Q-Switch laser session as I’m not feeling well the week before, so I had my laser done together with my 2nd Hydra-Facial session 


So excited to see the drastic improvement on my skin! *.*
5 June 2017
5th session of Q-Switch laser and I’m really so glad the see the improvement each time I’ve done with the treatment!


1 July 2017
6th Q-Switch and 3rd Hydra-Facial, I’ve slight breakout but again, the journey towards healing of this acne curse wouldn’t be smooth and all I need are patience.


15 July 2017
Had my 7th Q-Switch laser treatment. The scarring from the previous breakout has definitely got lighten and I’m always so happy to see the magic changes Q-Switch did to my skin!


5 August 2017th
8th Q-Switch and 4th Hydra-Facial



Alright, I’ll end my part 1 of this acne recovery journey with you guys, I know it’s a super lengthy post and I really hope what I share could manage to help you guys in some way and again to the acne sufferer friends, don’t feel dishearten, don’t lose hope and find a way to cure this nightmare. Thank you for reading, stay tune for the updates to see better recovery! 

UPDATES


Hi guys, I'm continuing my post for my acne treatment with The Clifford Clinic. I went back to Clifford every 2 weeks for laser treatment and every month for Hydrafacial.

In this update of the post, I will be sharing about my experience with Clifford clinic for VBeam laser. I've tried 3 sessions of VBeam laser recommended by Dr Gerard Ee and then continue maintaining my skin with Q-Switch lasers treatment.

What is VBeam Laser?
The VBeam is a pulsed dye laser, which means that the laser energy is delivered in pulses and a dye is used to generate laser beams of different colors. Since the VBeam is used to treat dilated blood vessels, as in rosacea, it is also called a vascular laser. The target of the vascular laser is hemoglobin, the red protein in blood cells in the blood vessels. Skin cells that surround the dilated blood vessels are not damaged. (Safely treat Rosacea, Spider veins, birthmarks, acne scars, stretch marks, broken capillaries). 

The pain level?

During the VBeam treatment, i could feel the device spraying cool liquid onto my skin on each laser pulse, hence rating the treatment 2/10 (it felt like cool zap on the skin) 

Below are some images of the after treatments and recovery process :)







I'm so thankful to receive caring treatment from clifford clinic, seeing how much my skin recovered throughout the time from the beginning really amaze me and i'm glad i didn't give up on finding cure to this torturous and toxic acne prone skin 😌


The Clifford Clinic
24 Raffles Place
#01-03 Clifford Centre
Singapore 048621
(Exit A from Raffles MRT)
Mon to Fri: 10am to 8pm
Sat: 10 am to 5pm
Sun: Closed
Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays
Call Us: (65) 6532 2400
Whatsapp: (65) 8318 6332

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is worth reading. Kindly visit my blog as well.Hydra Facial for Melasma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting blog! I like to read it. Please visit my blog as well.Hydra-Facial for Blocked Pores, Blackheads & Acne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing such a great post. It is very useful and informative. Also, check out Acne Scars Treatment in Chandigarh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unveil renewed confidence with Image Clinic's advanced acne scar treatments in Kolkata. Our skilled dermatologists customize solutions tailored to diminish scars, employing innovative techniques and state-of-the-art technology. Experience a personalized approach addressing individual skin concerns, ensuring effective and lasting results. At Image Clinic, bid farewell to acne scars and embrace a smoother, radiant complexion. Trust us to redefine your skin journey with proven, specialized treatments for lasting beauty and confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing amazing tips on skin health issues; it is truly useful. I appreciate your blog article post. It is one of our expertise and most commonly done procedure areas; as we have special experience in delivering excellent reductions in acne scars. We use a lot of procedures and do a careful mix-n-match for all patients to deliver which are exceptional at the very least. For accne related problems consult our best Acne Scar Treatment Pune
    Acne Scar Treatment Pune

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this valuable information. Your content is not only helpful but also quite informative. Moreover, take a look options available for Acne Sonic Facial in You by Sia Cosmetic Skin & Laser Clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful blog, I am bookmarking this to read after work. I just have questions on some and I do hope to hear your kind response.
    Does it leave scars after the whole treatment? and is this for acne scars and recurring acne?

    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting blog! I like to read it. Please visit my blog as well. HydraFacial in Islamabad

    ReplyDelete

Drop your Question. :)